At NovaDental, we’re calling today thoughtful Thursday. What does that mean? Well, we’re going to have a good, long hard think about some things that may not usually be on your radar.
Like most issues when it comes to our body, we tend to take things for granted until something isn’t quite working right and we start feeling pain or notice a difference in something. Our teeth are no exception.
Let’s face it, teeth talk isn’t exciting for most people (or sexy – Imagine this: You’re out and about and your date starts talking about teeth. Not cool). While we don’t expect you to get excited about the thought of teeth talk, we’re sure you’ll find the following 10 facts about your teeth fascinating:
- Everyone has a different set of teeth. Just like your fingerprint, your teeth are unique to you.
- Humans only have two sets of teeth during their lifetime: Their baby teeth and permanent teeth.
- Certain health issues have been linked to oral health. For example, heart disease, osteoporosis as well as diabetes.
- More often than not, baby teeth come out in the same order as they developed.
- Speaking of babies, some babies are born with teeth (it’s true!).
- Throughout your lifetime, your mouth produces over 25,000 quartz (or over 23 litres) of saliva.
- It’s thought that up to 35% of people are born without any wisdom teeth.
- Toothpaste was first produced in 1873 and was sold in a jar.
- Not all cultures embrace straight teeth. Those in Japan may even choose to get crooked veneers so that their teeth aren’t straight.
- Saliva has a protective function and helps to prevent dental plaque.
There you have it. Who said teeth talk had to be a boring topic?
We look forward to talking more about these facts the next time you pay us a visit. Call us to book in your next General Dentist Appointment: 1300 549 750.