At NovaDental, we understand that having a missing tooth can really impact on your self esteem, but with dental crown and bridge treatments performed by our dental experts, you can restore your confidence and your smile!
A dental crown is a cap that is placed over a tooth either for protection or cosmetic enhancement. This dental procedure can be used when your tooth is cracked or broken, has discolouration, or if fillings have fallen out and have been lost.
At NovaDental, we have many different dental crowns available. Our caring and understanding team take the time to get to know you and what your needs are to provide a treatment plan that best works for you.
Our qualified dentists use their skill and the latest tools, technology and practises to match the size, shape and colour of your crown to your pre-existing teeth to provide a naturally flawless smile.
Dental crowns will function and perform just as normal teeth would and can withstand biting and chewing as a regular healthy tooth, however, the crowns do require maintenance and can become loose over time.
Why is a dental crown needed?
- A dental crown treatment can be extremely beneficial for many patients, however, the requirements vary from person to person.
- One of the most common reasons as to why patients require a dental crown treatment is due to discoloured and worn teeth. It is a very simple, effective and permanent solution to give you a wonderful smile.
- Another common reason for needing a dental crown is due to chipped, broken or worn down teeth. A dental crown can be placed on top of your broken tooth to not only enhance the strength of the tooth, but it also allows for it to look great!
- If your tooth has a fine line or crack and you occasionally feel sensitivity from eating hot or cold, hard or sticky foods, then you may be experiencing a deep crack in your tooth and are at risk of fracturing your tooth. The dentists at NovaDental may suggest a dental crown to cover the tooth to prevent any further damage, whilst strengthening it and allowing you to keep your natural tooth intact.
What types of dental crowns are available?
There are many different dental crowns available depending on the patient’s needs and budget.
- Metal crowns: Metal crowns are the most long lasting option and material available for dental crowns. These crowns rarely chip or break and are the best for creating minimum wear for the surrounding teeth, however, due to the distinctive metal colour, this option is usually reserved for molars or teeth at the back of the mouth where they are less visible
- Porcelain fused to metal crowns: The dental crown option is usually the most popular. This type of crown can be colour matched to your other teeth, and as the name suggests, the porcelain is bonded to a metal base allowing for more security. Porcelain has the potential to chip or break if not properly cared for and can cause more wear to the surrounding teeth as opposed to its metal counterpart.
- Resin crowns: This is often the most affordable dental crown option. It has the most likelihood of chipping and wearing down and is susceptible to fractures.
- Ceramic or porcelain crowns: These dental crowns tend not to be as strong as metal or porcelain fused to metal crowns, however, they do provide the best colour match to your natural teeth and are usually the best option for front teeth.
How are dental crowns applied?
Getting a dental crown treatment usually requires two visits to the dental office. The first initial appointment is a consultation where our dentists examine and prepare the tooth, and the second involves the placement of the crown to the existing tooth.
During the first visit, the dentist will examine the area and take x-rays to ensure that there is no infection or decay to the bone or root of the tooth. Then, the dentist will inject a local anaesthetic to the surrounding area of the tooth and begin to file the tooth to begin to make room for the crown.
The dentist will then create an impression of the tooth using putty or paste once the tooth has been reshaped. This impression will then be used to create your new dental crown. This process usually takes around 2-3 weeks, however, the dentists at NovaDental will place a temporary crown to protect your tooth.
During your second visit, the dentist will remove your temporary crown and replace it with your permanent crown. Your dentist will ensure that it is the right fit, size and colour to match your other teeth.
How much do dental crowns cost?
The cost of dental crowns can vary from patient to patient. The price can also vary depending on the type of material that you intend to use and how many crowns you require.
Call up or walk into the NovaDental office in Melbourne today to arrange a consultation to find out how much your new dental crown will cost you.
Dental bridges are used to replace one or more than one missing tooth and is made to cover the entire space where you have missing teeth. The bridge is either securely attached to your natural teeth that surrounds the vacant space, these are called abutments. Alternatively, bridges can also be mounted onto dental implants.
Dental bridges aid in preventing your natural teeth from moving, rotating and shifting onto the empty space. If this empty space is not properly treated, it can cause further damage to your mouth through decay of your natural teeth, or gum disease can occur.
Why is a dental bridge needed?
A dental bridge treatment can be useful for patients with missing teeth or gaps in their smile and each treatment is different for every patient. Dental bridges can be a great solution for those that have more than one missing teeth and want a natural looking smile.
It is most commonly chosen by patients as a treatment plan for those who do not have a high enough level of bone density to attach a regular dental implant to the mouth. As it does not require any surgical implants placed into the gum tissue or jawbone, it is ideal as a second alternative.
This type of dental treatment is also suitable for those who have a serious oral health diagnosis, such as gum disease, and who need a suitable option to fill in a gap from missing teeth in their mouth.
Dental bridges are beneficial as they do not only restore your smile but they also improve your ability to chew and speak, it aids in maintaining the shape of your mouth, helps to distribute the force of your bite more evenly to replicate its natural force and can prevent teeth from shifting from their place.
What types of dental bridges are available?
There are three main types of dental bridges.
- Traditional Bridges: Traditional dental bridges are the most common type of bridge and are made of porcelain that is fused to a metal or ceramic base. This type of bridge is created for an implant or tooth on either side of the gap with an imitation tooth in between your natural teeth.
- Cantilever Bridges: This type of dental bridge is used when there is only one natural tooth next to the gap or missing teeth. This treatment option is best suited for the back of the mouth where the bridge can’t place much force on the other teeth and potentially damage them.
- Resin-bonded bridges or Maryland bridges: This type of bridge is made from porcelain, porcelain bonded to metal or plastic teeth or bridges that are fused to a framework that is made from a metal or porcelain. This framework is then bonded to your natural teeth to hold it into place.
How does dental bridges procedure work?
Your first visit to the NovaDental office to receive a dental bridge treatment will consist of the dentist reshaping your natural teeth that are adjacent to the gap to allow room for the bridge.
Your dentist will also take x-rays of your teeth and do a general check of the area to ensure that there are no infections of diseases to allow for an optimal treatment process.
Next, your dentist will make impressions of your mouth for your bridge to be created and ensure that it is a perfect fit for your mouth. The dentist will then send these impressions to a lab to get them created whilst giving you a temporary bridge to wear in the meantime as the final product can take up to 2-3 weeks to be finalised.
Once your bridge arrives, you will come back into the NovaDental office where your bridge will be checked and adjusted to give you the perfect fit. Often, the bridge will be placed in the mouth temporarily for a short amount of time to ensure that no further adjustments need to be made until it is permanently bonded to your mouth.
How much do dental crowns cost?
The cost of dental bridges can vary from patient to patient. The price can also vary depending on the type of material that you intend to use and how large the space the bridge is required to fill.
Call up or walk into the NovaDental office in Melbourne today to arrange a consultation to find out how much your new dental bridge will cost you.
Book an Appointment
Today for Professional Teeth Care
To make an appointment with us, you can either fill out our online booking enquiry form or Call us at